by Stacey Benson
As we prepare to celebrate Mother's Day, I remember a particular
mother that made quite an impact in my life.
My husband and I had just bought our first home. I was not yet
a mother myself, but I was about to get a lesson in mothering I would
never forget.
We realized, after moving into our new house, that it apparently
came with a cat. A pregnant cat. I enjoyed taking care of her, and
watching her belly grow to accommodate the kittens inside. I would
rub my hand along her belly, and feel all the little legs squirming
inside. It was amazing to me.
As the time for her to deliver came close, I prepared a basket
with old towels, and placed it and the cat in our basement. I was
with her when the five beautiful kittens were born. I was overjoyed.
She looked pooped.
After a few weeks, I felt sorry for the little kittens being
stuck in the basement, so I gathered them all up in a box, and
prepared to take them outside in the front yard for some sunshine and
fresh air.
Momma Cat was not happy. I assured her it was all going to be
okay, and that we would not stay out long. She followed along,
begrudgingly, as I opened the door to the world outside.
The kittens all squinted in the bright sunshine. They were so
excited! Momma Cat was not. I could tell she was still worried.
When we made it to the middle of the front yard, I set the box on the
ground, and helped the five little ones out. They were tumbling and
tripping all over the place.
Still, Momma Cat was not happy. Didn't she realize how good
this was for her babies? I tried to tell her, but she wasn't
convinced.
Just when she had calmed down enough to begin enjoying the sun a
bit herself, she jumped up and stood as tall as her legs would allow.
I looked up to see a neighbor's large puppy quickly ambling up the
street toward us. Uh oh. I had not even noticed him, but she had.
Now, I knew this puppy was not coming to bother the kittens. He
always came up for a scratch behind the ears. But Momma Cat was not
taking any chances. That poor dog got no less than twenty yards away
when she took off in his direction.
I tried to warn the poor pooch off, but with lightening speed
and claws extended Momma Cat jumped on his back. I mentioned this
was a puppy, but he was a large breed, weighing about forty pounds.
Momma Cat was eight or nine soaking wet. She was apparently unaware
of the huge size difference.
Totally surprised to suddenly have a mad cat on his back, the
puppy began spinning in circles to try and sling her off. At first,
her grip held strong, but after a few turns off she went, only to
jump right back on! I stood and watched in horror.
The cat finally jumped off the dog, and the dog hightailed it
home. Satisfied that she had fended of the enemy, she marched back
to her kittens, and licked them all one by one as if to make sure
they were okay.
She then came and stood in front of me looking right up at me. I
immediately began gathering the kittens up, and putting them into the
box. Momma cat led the way back to the basement, stopping every few
yards to look back, and make sure I was following.
I learned a lesson on motherhood that day. I understand it even
better now that I have a litter of my own to care for. No enemy,
seen or unseen, shall have access to my children as long as I am
around. It is my job as a mother to care for them -- body, mind, and
spirit. I was amazed that Momma Cat would attack an "enemy" so large
without hesitation. Now I understand completely.
A mother's love is unlike any other.
No comments:
Post a Comment