Well it looks like we wont be with K12 next year.
Mrs C.(The Principle in charge of the district K12 Program) wrote everyone an email saying that they are required to teach "State Corriculum" so this year things will be going a bit differently. So for History and Science(our 2 biggest hits with K12)they will not be going through K12 any more. Once they have gotten a set up curriculum for all other courses they will be not offering K12 for them either.
Yes, of course they will have workbooks ONLINE and worksheets you can print off etc. NOTHING like K12 had were it was really hands on and loads of activities and extra stuff that we could delve into. Plus everything woudl be lame worksheets and online things- etc. It just seasm WAY lame and them just trying to save a buck by using their own stuff instead of forking out the $$ for a solid curriculum like K12. ButI REALLY hate the idea of online workbooks etc-yuck. Stinger and I usually do everything on the floor and with K12 it was simple as we had workbooks to follow with -Id just retell everything and hed lok at teh worksheets and pictures that we had in front of us etc. I dont think Stinger would care for up to the computer all school day with thee two subjects he loved learning about.
So Im totally bummed. Her we were actually getting to the point of liking this curriculum, getting used to it, and now we have to look for something else.
I asked Dh, "So do we want to try just this one year and see what they have-or totally switch to something new?" He said very quickly, " Just switch." He said he doesnt trust them and their idea of what a state core should be etc....
So I guess I know what Ill be doing.....LOLOLOL
Im actually excited abt it-maybe this was what I needed to have something MAKE me let loose of the Brick and Morter school for Stinger. Then we can pick and choose what curriculum would be best in each subject for him-which would be really neat. This is what Ive come up with so far:
Math-TouchMath-2nd grade
Science-library/more nature-Charlotte Mason type learning....colorful worksheets/pictures-4th grade
History/Geography-library/timelines-characters/projects-4th grade
Language-lots of reading/stories-2nd grade
Phonics-2nd grade-letter tiles/boards etc...games...
Handwriting-2nd grade
Art-incorporate with other day lessons,Enchanted Learning
Okay-this is just off the top of my head-Ive got TUNZ of stuff to go through again for the zillionth time.......LOLOLOL
Id REALLY like a whole package curriculum-well one that could outline lessons each day for me etc....that way we wouldn't get off track....
I dont know-I DO know Ive got a whole lot of research to do......
3 comments:
Of course you knew I would comment on this one, right? LOL
Here's a few ideas you might want to check into... :D
Check out handwriting without tears for writing. It's very basic, not distracting, some pictures to show how to write letters appropriately, but very nice curriculum and there is no need for a teacher's manual because it explains everything in the kid's book. They have samples on their website so you can see what I mean. I LOVE their curriculum. I used it with the eldest and he was writing cursive at 6! I'll be starting it with the youngest this year.
There's also royal fireworks press for english. I think Stinger's age book would be called Grammar Island...VERY kid friendly, they also have samples so you can see. I'll have to check, but I think their curriculum is for older kids (over my youngest's age) but another curriculum I WILL be using when he is the right age. There is a lot of color change and font change, so that may or may not be a concern. Of course as a visual spatial thing, great, as a pdd thing, maybe not? If you show him the samples maybe he can tell you if it's too distracting?
Of course there's always ABEKA, check out their site for reading stuff. Good, interesting books with a whole plethora of stories inside about missionaries, godly men and women and making good choices. Eldest used for 3rd grade reading when I homeschooled him.
I really like the touch math idea, they have just the workbooks for 50bucks. Is there a better deal on their website I missed? Their curriculums seemed quite high in price to me (unless I missed something) Did you check into math-u-see also? Very visual spatial friendly, and something I am (along with the touch math) considering for the youngest.
Of course, you still have that free Charlotte Mason website with all the books on line and printable, right? ;)
Let me know what you find out about everything cause I am really looking for little J, too!
Yeah! We'll be homeschooling together this year!! WHOOT
LYBB,
C
OOH! I forgot about Bible curriculum! Check out ABEKA again, they have a book called Primary Bible reader which is not expensive and geared toward K-6 or something like that. Simple Bible stories that go from the creation to Jesus with psalms and important verses at the end. It's a go at your own pace book, so if you wanted to spend more time on something that interests the kiddos, you can. :) Okay, I'll slink away now. LOL
LOLOLOL-I just KNEW Id see you in here-LOLOLOL
Thanks girl for all the emails and links-you are a conessuire of the web ed-eh? LOLOLOL
But seriously they have been soooooo helpful{{HUGS}}
And yes-we'll be doing it together this year-finally! LOLOLOLOL
Luv ya BB
Post a Comment