Well Stingers Summer Group Program started on Monday. He was less than thrilled.....LOLOLOL. I dropped him off fine, but boy when I went to pick him up his face was flushed and I knew something was up. He didnt want to talk abt it at all while we were there and wanted QUITE in the car on the way home. He usually requests thsi from everyone after being ard so many kids and so much noise I guess...The only thing I managed to get out of him was that he felt like hitting someone and wanted quite time in the car going back....so we left and had quite time in the car until we got home.
When we got home he still didnt want to talk abt it and wanted to go outside and play alone he said-to have time to himself he said. He played like that all day out there only coming in for lunch and dinner.
At bedtime I touched on the subject again and he explained to me why he had been so upset. I guess they were playing some games where you had to touch others in the group which he did NOT like AT ALL. Others touched him too-it was part of the game. He said everyone was touching him and it made him really upset and that he wanted to come home, but couldnt. He said he had not given his permission to be touched and yet other kids he didnt know where touching him. I told him next time if it was too much and if he started to feel hot or mad to tell the therapist, that she probably didnt know and would have let him sit out. I told him to tell people to mind his bubble-he said most kids dont know abt the bubble Mom-and I said you tell them Stinger.
I told dh abt it the next morning and I heard him talking with Stinger abt it too-saying that he wasnt going to die, even though he thought he might. That it was okay if the therapist had said it was a part of the game. The kids were not trying to tease him or make him upset they were trying to play with him. I was impressed with how sensitive dh was abt the whole thing, keeping it very light and no big deal type of thing....:)I think this helped Stinger alot knowing that maybee Dad understood what he was going through and that his feelings were okay, just that he might be taking things the wrong way from the other kids is all....
That makes perfect sense as he doesnt even like his sibs touching him unless he knows before hand etc-hes not one for cuddles very often either-so I could see his upset abt this. He's worried that he doesnt know these kids and doesnt know if they are up to his standards of clean etc-his OCD at work again.....
The next day one of the tecahers took me aside and was worried taht sh ehad upset Stinger. I explained to her what had happened and why Stinger was upset and she said Ohhhhhh....that she could tell he was having some anxiety abt everything and stopped then with the game...and was then worried that she had upset him....She was a new tharapist and didnt know Stinger etc....
Before I dropped him off I had explained to him that today would be better as his therapist was going to be there and that an ART activity was planned for Tuesdays. He again told me that he was going to just sit by the window.
I got there and as usual I asked how he had done and they all smiled-especially his behavior helper :) She was so impressed by his actions that she took me aside and wanted to explain the art activity to me and how Stinger had accepted and tolerated alot of things that she was sooo excited abt. Apparently they had been working with paint and making trains with different colors, but they thing was that they were told to mix colors with other kids. To do this you had to touch someone elses hand to get their color on it and Stinger had actually DONE THIS!!!!He had mixed all the colors so he had touched everyone of the kidss hands-I couldnt believe it-so proud of my little guy!!!!What team work-eh? He had come away from the window and had wanted to join in!!!WHOOT!!!!!He had finished his train and had enjoyed being there :)His reward was he got to pick a coke from the coke machine-LOLOLOL
He didnt want quite time on the way home-he wanted to explain to me what they did and had a smile on his face the whole time:)It was no surprise he ended with " Mom-I think they should just have Tuesday groups from now on" LOLOLOLOL I looked at him and smiled and said but Tuesdays give you something to look forward to on Monday-right? That will make Mondays not so bad....He agreed :) LOLOLOL
Way to go STINGER!!!!WHOOT!!!! Way to tackle your fears!!!:) :) :)Proud Momma Bear :) :)
I think hes taking alot from the group-even if he doenst want to admit it. I guess on Tuesday they also taked abt everyone being different, taht different is OK.Hes quick to point that out at home now saying everyone is different when his sibs say something and argue with him-LOLOL. Hes telling me this too when I fix something for dinner he doesnt like-LOLOLOL
2 comments:
thanks for sharing this. what a great learning experience for stinger!! you're such a great, understanding mom:)
awh-thanks Colby-youre an awesome MOM!!!!!-like I knew you'd be ANY different-LOLOLOL
Post a Comment