Ugh-just when I thought it was safe-NOT!!!!
We all know abt this teacher right-the one who put an Autistic child up in front of the class, ridiculed him in front of the other children, and then asked the other KINDERGARDENERS if he should be allowed to stay in the classroom becasue of his behavor-right...well I for one thought she was done. With all the publicity and everything else I thought we would never hear from here again...Well surprise surprise she will be back teaching as if the incident had never happend...surprised???...Im not...ugh! Not new news....but heck-it sure has me bummed just the same.....I know if I was a parent Id be fighting to have my child in her class......sigh....
Teacher Wins Back Tenure After Class Votes Out Boy With Autism
By Shaun Heasley
June 11, 2009
A Florida teacher who encouraged her kindergarten students to vote on whether or
not a student with autism should remain in her classroom will keep her tenure
after winning an appeal.
In May 2008 Wendy Portillo's kindergarten students voted 5-year old Alex Barton,
who has autism, out of their classroom after the boy exhibited behavior
problems. As a result, Portillo was suspended from teaching for one year without
pay and her tenure was revoked.
However, Portillo appealed and the St. Lucie County School Board decided
Wednesday to affirm her suspension, which lasts until November, but reinstate
Portillo's tenure upon her return. Portillo is guaranteed a teaching position
with the school district at the end of her suspension, reports WPTV, the West
Palm Beach, Fla. NBC affiliate.
No comments:
Post a Comment