Monday, September 07, 2009

Bean Jar....


This idea was taken off of my good friend Melinda-but I think my big sis Kym does this with her kids too-Im thinking this is a keeper :)

Our BEAN JAR




A fun thing we do, it's a reward system of sorts. Works alot like her token system, with my "tweaks" How the bean jar works, when Mom or Dad notices something nice being done, we can chose to tell that person to put a bean in the jar. They take a bean out of the holding jar, and put it into the bean jar. Simple really, oh and I can not take credit, read it somewhere!




One thing I noticed, and one reason I decided to do this is I always feel I am so negative to the kids. I ALWAYS notice the wrong, and often forget to say thanks or great job. So this helps me, Mom to notice the good. Beans are added for all types of things, here are just a few ideas. I ask for someone to do something, example "can someone go downstairs and grab me a can of tomato sauce?" If someone jumps up quickly and does it hastily sometimes I say you can put a bean in the jar, sometimes not! If the kids get 100% on their math, or spelling tests etc. they get a bean, this is done everytime, and not only on 100%. If someone is struggling with something, say a specific times table or spelling list etc I sometimes let them add a bean for accomplishing it. I have a set amount for piano practice, a certain amount of days equals a certain amount of beans. However I try to do it more with simple kind gestures that happen. If I notice someone giving of themselves for another, that always gets a bean. I notice a good attitude, especially when that someone has been having a hard time with that lately, they might get a bean. Get the picture?

Once all the beans are in the jar, it will be completely full. We will do something extra fun as a family. Something that is abnormal, something special. I also like this idea because it is teamwork. Everyone is competing TOGETHER to fill the jar.








No comments: