Friday, January 08, 2010

Freezing Pipes Precautions

No-not us......*knock on wood*....
But if your not careful this:



.......could turn into this:



...or even this.......ouch!!just looks like a mess and $$$$$$$$$$!!!!and lots of it to fix....




Our next door neighboors work up this morning with frozen pipes-and leaks.....so she called to ask for use of our outside spiket for water...She said the plumbers are way backed up today-wonder why.....so she doenst know when she will get her water back

Tonight its calling for 9DEGREES!!!

I dont know the whole process involved-hopefully never will NEED to know...but Im sure its $$$$$ cha-ching. They have leaks now too....so much problems involved Im sure...

Dh is always getting on to me abt keeping the water dripping in the kitchen faucet lately-now I know why. We forgot to have it running last night though...yigh..yigh...but Dh always has our outside spiket dripping-so thats probably what saved us...no...I KNOW thats what saved us....

Ever since our flooding that happend in our basement a few years back I should KNOW better-but I forget all the time. I NEVER want to relive THAT again.....yuck!So all you forgeters out there-LISTEN UP:LEAVE THE DARN THING RUNNING!!!!
Dont let this be U!!!!!LOLOL


Heres some tips I found too:
TIPS:
1. Make sure cupboards under sinks are left open. Cold air can be trapped under your sink, but with the cupboard open heat can freely circulate keeping pipes warmer.

2. Leave a small stream of both hot & cold water flowing. Some people make the mistake of just keeping the cold water going. Big mistake! Hot water actually freezes faster than cold....so make sure you leave a bit of BOTH going.

3. Check out your gas hot water tank. Gas hot water tanks need to vent outside. When temperatures drop the cold air from outside could be sucking right in that vent and on copper tubing. The best solution is to have the tubing wrapped with electrical tape. And it doesn't hurt to have the tank insulated too! In a pinch, make sure there is plenty of heat around the tank and with leaving the water in a stream of hot and cold will force your tank to kick on too!

4. Double check to make sure hoses are disconnected and outside hose bibs are protected. This is typically taken care of as you get the house ready for winter, but it is always a good idea to double check....just in case someone reattached a hose during a warm spell.












2 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh my! Makes me glad that we don't own a house just yet, though I know the same can happen with us! We are starting to warm up again. I am going to miss the cold!

MommyTof3 said...

Oh.......Im jealous here -Its still freezing here....sheesh..sigh...never ending cold...blah...blah...LOLOL