This was received off of the IEP board I am apart of-WOW!! I cant wait to thoroughly dissect these blogs and Im soo excited to see Aspie views from others who ARE ASPIES...I can already tell I am going to thoroughly enjoy them and also in the process learn and understand Stinger more because of it....thought some of you all would be interested too :)Should be very cool getting a grown up Aspie view of social aspect things-which is something I really have a hard time understanding with Stinger...
---------------------------------
Aspie's Inc. Blog
February 19, 2010 DOING YOUR SOCIAL BEST Aspie's Inc. Blog
I love to read personal accounts of people who are on the autism spectrum and struggle in social situations. Lately, thought I have been setting aside these types of books as "enjoyment" rather than educational. That is so far from the truth! Watching the Temple Grandin movie helped remind me how important it is to get a first person perspective.
I have a friend who I greatly admire. His name is Adam and he has Asperger Syndrome. Adam has been in the IT department at a large drug manufacturer, been in a band where he has traveled and recorded and now is planning on moving his family of four to the Czech Republic to be missionaries. I don't know how he does it. What I do know is that I have learned more about Asperger Syndrome from him than from any other speaker. Adam has a way of explaining difficulties he has faced in social situations throughout his whole life.
I was impressed when I heard Adam speak and talk about why he wears a baseball hat so much. It's because it blocks out at least 20% of his visual field along with any super bright light overhead. He can be easily visually overstimulated and he recognized this well before he received his AS diagnosis. He also explained how he was able to modulate his sensory system in a corporate environment. When others would go for coffee or go outside for a smoking break, Adam would go down to a storage room in the basement and pace or walk around. This was calming and refreshing to him.
Adam's blog covers many different thoughts and topics, but there are some gems in there about dealing with Asperger Syndrome that could be very helpful for parents, teachers and especially adults or young adults with AS. Adam puts a great positive spin on all of his entries.
Enjoy!
www.aspiesinc.blogspot.com
IThere are over 80 different topics with practical ideas and links to all subjects covered in the past two years. Access this list at: http://community.icontact.com/p/socialperspectives/newsletters/social-best/posts/topics-links-for-doing-your-social-best-january-12-2010
No comments:
Post a Comment